February 8, 2008

Provoked CNY

I felt very strange in Chinese New Year, especially during visitations.

Why is everyone saying....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

.... instead of gong xi fa chai, xin nian kuai le, etc.......?

And please, I mean that it's said in English! That's is everyone is saying "HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

Huh? Is everyone getting westernized? Or what? Hard to say Chinese?

Sounds very provoking isn't it? We are all Chinese, and yet we wish each other in English? 像话吗?


No offense ya, I am just speaking out my mind... hehe... correct me if I am wrong.

God bless you all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you.Lets all say 'Gong xi fa cai' in future.Makes it feel more of a chinese new year!

Anonymous said...

I usually greet those who speak Mandarin with Mandarin, and greet those who don't speak Mandarin in English. Between 'Happy New Year' and 'Gong Xi Fa Cai', I would rather use 'Happy New Year', just my personal preference.

Anonymous said...

not everyone use english lah. your experience like that may be becoz either: 1) you mix mostly with english speaking groups, or 2) you mostly use english with your friends...