January 29, 2009

Wang Kelian, a place where I can't go always

At the Sunday before the Chinese New Year holiday, my friends and I went to Wang Kelian, the northern-most place in Perlis, of course, bordering Thailand.


It is not a famous border town as compared to Padang Besar, but it boasts of its free-flow facility, where both Malaysians and Thais can cross border without passport. That factor alone made me so eager to get there.

We went there by rented car, and it took about an hour from our hostel to get there. FREAKING 60 KILOMETERS! AAAHHH...

It's not an easy ride because the road is very windy and steep.




You only see the road going down. When it's going up it's totally different matter. Car really need power.

I think at least 70 degrees steep. Everyone just held their breath as I frantically shift to lower gears! Fuh...

The area is actually a cross-border market. Typical to the one in Serikin, near Indonesian border.


The difference is, with this one, everyone can cross border, freely.


The border post is very small. Interestingly, as we were settling our immigration procedures (just show them our IC and let them check), many are just walking past it! We're like.... so speechless.

Anyway we tried to be legal, or else we gonna be "pendatang asing tanpa izin." Oh no...

It's feeling so good to step out of Malaysia and enter a brand new country.... Thailand.


Welcome to Thailand! Sa-wat-dee-khab! :)


Thai flag flying high. To show that where we are now.


Eagle, landmark of this place. Quite similar to the one in Langkawi, don't you think?

It's another row of stalls over there, but majority of them are speaking Thai. It's getting quite hard, but I still managed some simple ones like numbers, asking how much and so on.


And the very first thing we bought there is.... TADA...


PIZZA! Why now since it's so close to the border, cost only 49 bahts (we paid in ringgit though, only 5 bucks) and fresh from the oven!

Meanwhile my friend, Rajesh, also bought me this...


It's called SOMTAM. It's made on the spot, right in front of me. Not bad, consider it's 20 bahts. Erm... still ok for me, but for others maybe they will vomit out la...


We just sat on the grass at the road divider. No way else to sit. Sit back, relax and enjoy Thai food. Ah...

At Thailand side, we only managed to buy foods since others are selling stuffs that I don't need. However, the temptations are still there.


1 piece only 5 bucks! Any takers?

Anyway good stuffs has to come to and end.


Thailand border post. Quite similar to its Malaysian counterpart. With a big portrait of the King of Thailand.

I really thank all my friends who are willing to accompany me and pay me 10 bucks in this trip la. It's really a very Malaysian group. Hahaha...


Thank you to all of you! Muaaahh..... ahahha =D

God bless you all! I WANT MORE TRAVELS! =D

3 comments:

amal_fc1303 said...

u tak ajak saya pon join sekali pegi sini...

Your Humble Servant said...

I got ask fu fei to ask people around, but no one seems wanted to go.... hmmm.... past already la, maybe got next time lo...

Siti Fatimah Nabihah said...

hehe.. got my pict at ther! hehe^^
erm.. later we go another place pula! k?